24 June 2011

cake pops

If you haven't heard of cake pops, then you're missing out on the latest and greatest cake craze to hit the streets of America.  Bakerella, the blogger, is rumored to have started the concept and now she has cake pop cookbooks and a very successful website.  I had to look into the trend because even Starbucks is selling them now.  

So I did my research and came up with the concept:  smash up your cupcakes, add tons of frosting (but just enough to make them creamy because this is your binding agent) and then roll into golf ball sized circles.  I found that you need to have cold, if not frozen cake to work them into the right shape because when the balls are sticky and your hands are warm it just doesn't work.  Once you get an acceptable shape, you place a lollipop stick into the cake ball and dip in chocolate.  It didn't quite work for me as well as I'd hoped because the cake was crumbling off into the melted chocolate while I was trying to dip them so I ended up with bubbly cake pop surfaces.  

These are cake pops I made for the Snowball Music Festival this past March - I used vanilla cake, cream cheese frosting & dipped them in semi-sweet Ghiradelli chocolate.  They were really good, and stayed frozen in the outdoor 10 degree temps.  But, not nearly perfect.  The latest batch I made last week for my Farmer's Market test run were smaller, totally dipped in chocolate and potentially looked more appetizing.  I didn't take any photos of them so I will post after the weekend with my cake pop progress! 

This is Cassie, my trusty assistant who drives all the way from Aspen to help out the cupcake lady at fun and festive events like this one - free live music & slingin' cake pops - yes please for this Alabama girl! 

I'm really excited for round 2 of cake popping this weekend because even though they were imperfect looking, the crowds at the Vail Farmer's Market ate them up!  (pun intended.)   
I'm looking forward to another successful weekend of cupcake slinging and making my 2 brides happy on their big Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment