29 June 2011

cake pops, round 2


A cake pop update...
Making cake pops for the Vail Farmer's Market last week went much better than the previous week.  I made sure my cake balls were really cold before dipping in the warm chocolate so that the cake wouldn't flake off into the chocolate bowl.  
I have found that once you dip the cake into the chocolate, then place onto wax paper to cool and harden, the bottom, or should I say, top...of the pops change into a flat surface.  Apparently, the only way to avoid this is to get a styrofoam block, and stick the cake pop in the styrofoam to let it cool in its original round shape.  Maybe I'll try this new drying technique this week. 


I also had a hard time getting the stick to stick.  Maybe the cake was too cold?  Maybe there was too much frosting in the cake to frosting ratio?  I even dipped the stick in chocolate before putting it into the cake ball but that seemed to make things worse.   This is because the cake got a mind of its own after the chocolate cooled, started oozing and tried to break through the chocolate.  


But, as long as I warned people that the pop was going to fall off the stick, they didn't seem to mind - the red velvet cake pops were the biggest hit!




No comments:

Post a Comment