22 January 2012

Cupcake Candy Cabin

The big project over the holidays was a gingerbread house submission to benefit CASA, Court Appointed Special Advocates, of the Continental Divide.  Every year they host a gingerbread house contest at The Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, and this year, they asked me to compete in the Professional Category.  We had a long list of rules and regulations, so I was hesitant at first, but then I thought, why not a gingerbread house?  If I can make cupcakes, I can make anything!  So I committed to the event, and was also crossing my fingers for the $1000 Grand Prize.  Making a gingerbread house is way more intricate and complicated than I ever thought, and I'm glad I now have a better appreciation for the art.  I missed out on the big Win this year, but now I know that my competitors started in August so more motivation to transition from summer to winter with gingerbread!

smash the gingerbread dough

roll out the dough, and add the house frame

cut out all windows and doors from house frame

bake all 4 walls and roof pieces

once you assemble frame of house on sturdy cake base, start adding accents like the peppermint pillow chimney, window treatments, gingerbread tree and peppermint stick corner supports

this addition made the house heavy, but milk duds seemed like the perfect roof shingles

milk chocolate pieces on the opposite side of the house added variety and the peppermint kisses made out to be the perfect lawn stylings

"CCC" on the front door stands for Candy Cupcake Cabin!

adding m&m roof, snow-dusted tree, powder covered front lawn, and Santa's Cupcake Hot Tub made things feel more finished

Santa relaxing with his Men

mini cupcakes sliced in half adorned he roof, where tiny gingerbread men watched guard over the house

adding extra royal icing to the edges of the roof added significant weight, but was necessary for that chilly, "it just-snowed" feel

red and green M&Ms were a tedious addition to the roof, but worth the time

I think I got docked points for having an inedible Santa and presents on the chimney, but they were too cute to pass up

and the final touch...ice skating penguin on the front walk! TaDa!

Below are a few photos of the competitors houses because you can really see Batter's whimsical Style, compared to the rest!



can you tell this house was the winner?!?  this team started in August, a good 5 months before the event





2nd Place


I'm not sure which house won 3rd place, but if I had to guess, it would be the old woman in the snowboard boot


In addition to being a participant, I was also asked to be a judge for the Amateur division.  Some of the "amateur" houses were better than my own gingerbread house!  I also really like the LightHouse from the kids division.    


kids division

amateur division 2nd place

amateur division 1st place

my favorite amateur house

until next year...


1 comment:

  1. As the founder of CASA's Gingerbread House Competition in Beaver Creek, I was thrilled to see your blog and really enjoyed the photos and description of the steps. Bernie and Brian are tough competition, but you did a fantastic job for your first entry. I hope you'll continue entering and thanks for supporting Court Appointed Special Advocates.

    ReplyDelete